Voscar, The Maine Photographer.
Used By Permission
TO USE THIS AROOSTOOK COUNTY SECTION
Look for the name of the water you wish to fish. If it is not listed, it is closed to all ice fishing.
If the water you wish to fish is listed, the letter code in bold print will direct you to the rules which are in effect. The meanings of the letter codes are as follows:
Boundary Water Rules Between Maine And New Brunswick Are Listed As S-7.
- A: Open to ice fishing for all fish except salmon, trout, togue and bass from the time ice forms in the fall until December 31; and then open to ice fishing for all fish from January 1 through March 31.
- B: Closed to fishing until January 1 and then open to ice fishing for all fish from January 1 through March 31.
- S: Special rule in effect - see table at the end of this page. (Note: Special rules may restrict the general provisions set forth for A and B waters.)
- AK: Special Aroostook County rule in effect - see county rules at the end of the following list of waters.
In Aroostook County The Minimum Length Limit On Bass Is 10 Inches.
Bodies of Water
- Beau Lake, T19R11, T20RII & 12. B, S-4, S-14
- Black River, Big, T14R15. AK-4
- Bracket Lake, Weston. A
- Bradbury Lake, New Limerick. A
- Caribou Lake, Island Falls. T3R4. A
- Carr Pond, T13R8. B, S-8, S-10, S-14, S-17, S-20, S-23
- Chandler Lake, T9R8. B, S-10
- Cochrane Lake, Smyrna, New Limerick. B, S-8, S-10
- County Road Lake, New Limerick. A
- Cross Lake, T16R5, T17R5. AK-1
- Crystal Lake, Hersey. A
- Deering (or Longfellow) Lake, Orient and Weston. B, S-16
- Drew's Lake (also called Meduxnekeag Lake), Oakfield, New Limerick and Linneus. B
- Eagle Lake, Wallagrass, Eagle Lake, T16R5, T16R6. AK-1
- East Lake, T17R14. B, S-4
- Faulkner Lake, Weston. A
- Flinn Pond, T1R5 and Benedicta. A
- Glancy Lake, New Limerick. A
- Glazier Lake, T18R10. S-7, S-14
- Grand Lake, East. S-7
- Green Pond, New Limerick. A
- Greenlaw Pond, T12R7, T12R8. B
- Hannigan Pond, New Limerick. A
- Haywire Pond, T1R5 & Benedicta. A
- Hot Brook Lake, Lower, Bancroft (see Washington County).
- Hunter or Town Line Pond, Linneus. A
- Long Lake, Oakfield. A
- Long Lake, St. Agatha, T17R3,
- Madawaska, T17R4. AK-1
- Longley Lake, Orient. A
- Machias Lake, Big, T12R8. AK-2
- Machias Lake, Little, Nashville Plt. B, S—5
- Macwahoc Lake, Upper, Sherman, T3R4. A
- Macwahoc Lake, Lower, T2R4. A
- Mattaseunk Lake, Molunkus. A
- Mattawamkeag Lake, Upper and Lower, Island Falls and T4R3. A
- Molunkus Lake, T1R5, Molunkus and Macwahoc. B
- Mud Pond, T4R3, Oakfield. A
- Mud Pond, New Limerick. A
- Musquacook Lakes, First, Second and Third, T11R11, T12R11, B, S-10, S-14, S-20, S-23
- Nickerson Lake, New Limerick, Linneus. AK-5
- North Lake, Orient Twp. S-7
- Pleasant Lake, Island Falls and T4R3. S-14, S-19, S-22, Ak-2
- Plunkett Pond, Benedicta, Silver Ridge. A
- Portage Lake, Portage Lake Twp. AK-3
- Portand Lake, Bridgewater. B, S-3
- Pratt Lake, T11R9. B, S-16
- Reed Pond, Macwahoc. A
- Rowe Lake, T11R8. B, S-3, S-10
- Skitacook Lake, Oakfield, T4R3. A
- Spaulding Lake, Oakfield. S-16, Ak-2
- Squa Pan Lake, T10R4, T11R4,
- Masardis, Ashland. S-19, AK-2
- Square Lake, T15 and 16R5. AK-1
- St. Croix Lake, T8R4, T7R4. B
- St. Froid Lake, Winterville, T14R7. AK-3
- Sucker Lake, Weston. A, S-14
- Thoroughfare, The, Between North and East Grand Lakes. S-7
- Umcolcus Lake, T7R5, T8R5. AK-2
- Wheelock Lake, St. John Plt. B, S-4
- Wytopitlock Lake, Glenwood, T2R4. A
Aroostook County Special Rules
- AK-1: Cross, Eagle, Long, Square Lakes - Open to ice fishing for smelts and cusk at night only (1/2 hour after sunset until ½ hour before sunrise) from Jan. 1 through Jan. 14; then open to ice fishing for all fish from Jan. 15 through Mar. 15 with night fishing for smelts permitted. Smelts may be taken only by hook and line, 3 hooks per line permitted, hooks to be not less than 4 inches apart. Open to the taking of cusk in the nighttime. Daily bag limit on salmon, trout and togue: 3 fish, not include more than 2 salmon (1 salmon in Square Lake. In Long Lake only 1 salmon may exceed 16 inches), 2 trout, 2 togue. Minimum length limit on brook trout: 12 inches, only 1 may exceed 14 inches.
- AK-2: Spaulding, Big Machias, Pleasant, Squa Pan, Umcolcus Lakes - Open per Class B. Open to ice fishing for smelts from the time the ice forms in the fall until March 31, night fishing permitted for smelts, 3 hooks per line, hooks to be not less than 4 inches apart.
- AK-3: Portage Lake, St. Froid Lake - Open per Class B. Daily bag limit on salmon, trout and togue: 3 fish, not to include more than 2 salmon, 2 trout, 2 togue. Night fishing for smelts permitted; 3 hooks per line, hooks to be not less than 4 inches apart. Open to the taking of cusk in the nighttime; minimum length limit on brook trout; 12 inches, only 1 may exceed 14 inches.
- AK-4: Big Black River, from the confluence of Five Mile Brook upriver to the confluence of Depot Stream - Open per Class B. Restricted to 2 lines per person. Two fish daily bag limit in the aggregate of salmon, trout & togue.
- AK-5: Nickerson Lake - Open per Class B. Daily limit on trout and togue: 3 fish in the aggregate, not to include more than 2 trout and 2 togue; minimum length limit on brook trout: 8 inches.
These special regulations may apply to waters in any county. Whenever any water is followed by one of the above, you must refer back to this table to determine which special regulations apply.
- S-1: Closed to the taking of smelts.
- S-2: No longer used in book - general law permits the taking of smelts through the ice by hook & line only.
- S-3: Night fishing for smelts permitted; 3 hooks per line permitted, hooks to be not less than 4 inches apart.
- S-4: Use or possession of live fish as bait is prohibited.
- S-5: Smelts may be taken at night.
- S-6: Open to night fishing for smelts, yellow perch, & chubs.
- S-7: Boundary waters with New Brunswick: See page 30.
- S-8: Restricted to two lines per person.
- S-9: Border waters with new Hampshire: See page 31.
- S-10: Daily bag limit on brook trout: 2 fish: minimum length limit: 12 inches, only 1 may exceed 14 inches.
- S-11: Two fish daily bag limit in the aggregate of salmon, trout, & togue.
- S-12: No size or bag limit on bass and pickerel.
- S-13: No size or bag limit on bass.
- S-14: Open to the taking of cusk in the nighttime with 5 lines.
- S-15: Daily bag limit on brook trout: 2 fish: minimum length limit: 10 inches, only 1 may exceed 12 inches.
- S-16: Daily bag limit on brook trout: 2 fish: minimum length limit; 8 inches.
- S-17: Minimum length limit on salmon: 16 inches.
- S-18: Minimum length limit on togue; 16 inches.
- S-19: Daily limit on trout: 2 fish.
- S-20: Daily limit on whitefish: 3 fish.
- S-21: Minimum length limit on trout: 12 inches.
- S-22: Daily limit on salmon: 1 fish.
- S-23: Daily limit on togue: 1 fish.
- S-24: Minimum length limit on brook trout: 10 inches.